Almond flour is commonly called "almond meal" here. The best way to get it is buy it in bulk. Shop around. Check delis. You also sometimes see supermarkets sell very tiny bags for expensive prices. Try these places:
- Melbourne. The Nutshell Marzipan P/L, 43 London Drive, Bayswater, 9763 6688. The deli centre in Victoria St Markets. NSM Food Wholesalers, 405 Victoria St, Brunswick, 9380 8789. BAS Foods, 423 Victoria St, Brunswick, 9381 1444.
- Sydney. The Nut Stand Co., 56-64 McCauley Street, Alexandria, NSW, 2015, 02 9319 4143
"Honest to Goodness" sells almond meal and other nut flours(and other whole foods) in 1kg, 5kg or 10kg bags, and delivers to your door. You can phone in the order, or do it via the website, or go to their factory in Chatswood. www.goodness.com.au
- Tamworth & surrounds. Northern Nuts and Treats is a small whole foods shop in Bridge St, West Tamworth.
- Brisbane. Samios at Woolloongabba, 36 Annerley Road, opposite the old Mater Children's. The Queensland Nut and Fruit Company, 3208 9488.
- Sunshine Coast. Dancourt Trading, 27 Newing Way, Caloundra West, ph 07 54370930 (1kg or 3kg bag of almond meal)
- Canberra. Fyshwick Fruit & Vegetable Markets has a nut shop. Deli Nut, Leeton St, Fyshwick sells almond meal.
- Perth. The Kakulas Brothers in Northbridge.
- Australia wide. You could check with Almondco to see if they will post you almond meal in bulk.
Almond meal is commonly stored in a cool, dark place, but many choose to freeze it.