Joan in Sydney writes...

I would just like to let everyone know that I am finally geting better. Although I am not doing SCD 100% legal, probably about 90% legal. Anyway all D has now gone, most of the has gone, still a small amount of Mucous and a little constipation.

You see when I was completely sticking to the SCDiet I wasn't getting better. I am one of those people who Elaine says needs more than just the diet to get better. (Actually Elaine suggested that I started to smoke again, just until I get all the symptons under control and then give up again while on SCDiet). But I simply refuse to smoke again. I was a heavy smoker for about 20 years, and when I finally gave up 6 years ago, it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my whole life. You see I gave up smoking and one week later I got UC. Apparently the hardest of all IBD's to clear up. But I have been doing a lot of reading on the www about MSM.

Just in case anyone else is interested and is not getting very many results with the SCD. I suggest they go to the google search engine and type in MSM & ulcerative colitis or MSM & crohn's. MSM in my opinion is helping me get better. I have spoken to Gay B, who is on the welcome commity of SCD, Gay B has crohn's, Gay uses MSM for Arthritis, MSM is good for a many number of things. Gay says that Elaine has OK'd MSM. So if you are not getting any better what have you got to lose.

I take a 1/4 of a level teaspoon mixed with a small amount of water every morning after breakfast. Here is the link that originally got me using MSM: http://www.krysalis.net/crohn.htm. The artical is about DMSO which is the same as MSM but DMSO is actually used on animals, MSM is used on humans. If you like you may e-mail David Gregg, he is more than happy to help with any questions.

MSM is available at health foods stores. MSM is organic sulphur, it is completely harmless, in Australia it can only be bought in powder form. There are several brands on the market. I am using MSM in its purest form without any additives. The brand I am using is EAGLE. It cost me $26.35. I got it from Westfields at Pagewood (Eastgardens, Sydney) form the Healthy Life Store.

Be very careful, MSM is also sold with Glucosamine, (MSM & Glucosamine) if you buy this one it only contains about 5% MSM, or MSM and vitamin C this is the wrong kind. So read the labels and ask for pure MSM, MSM without any fillers. The one I got is a Practitioner dispensing only, but the health shop still sold it to me without question.

Just in case anyone gets it this is the dosage the booklet states: 1/3 tsp - 1 gram, 1/2 tsp - 2 grams, levelled tsp - 4 grams, heaped tsp - 5-6 grams. The book states for Gastrointestinal problems use 1-2 grams of MSM daily. For Constipation 3-5 grams of MSM taken orally daily. I mix 1/2 teaspoon with a little warm water, it is slightly bitter but it is not that bad that you could not drink it.

DMSO is the same as MSM, only DMSO is used for animals. I actually used DMSO a couple of times, I bought it from the pet shop. I rang the manufacturer of the product and spoke to a Doctor who worked there, he advised me not to used it. It irritates your skin and makes it itchy. I have read somewhere on the internet that athletes used it for sports injuries. My husband used to use it when he had greyhounds. He used it on their (the greyhounds) sore spots.

Later...

All I can say is it really seems to be doing something good for me. I started taking MSM 1/4 of a teaspoon once a day on the 1.7.01. I was passing about 8 y D stools a day at that stage, and also passing y M, and was severely constipated as well. Most of the symptoms have all gone, only passing a very small amount of pink/brown M now and still have slight constipation. I am also glad to say that I am back on the diet 100%. Hope I can keep it up. Last week I ate some cashews and paid for it the next day, but only I think the MSM saved me from getting a severe flare up.